"Once your consciousness has been raised, it cannot be lowered"

My parenting journey, our home educating family and some other stuff here and there....


Friday 23 April 2010

Esme: thoughts on Religion

Esme has been really sweet the last week or so. Well, she's always sweet, but I do struggle with her sometimes and it's often too easy to dwell on the tricky times (and how hard I find them to handle).

We had a funny little conversation today in the car.

Esme:   Eloise believes in Jesus.

Me:      ummm, ok....

Esme:   Why?

Me:      She just does, it's what her Mummy and Daddy believe too. It's their religion, they're Christians. Christians are a group of people like the Seikhs and the Buddhists, they just believe different things. (We've visited a Gurdwara and the local Buddhist Centre quite recently)

Esme:   Are we Christians?

Me:      Well, not really.

Esme:   Oh. Well, can I believe in Jesus?

Me:      If you want to, it's up to you to decide what you believe. But you might like to learn a bit more about  other religions before you decide. There's no hurry really....

Esme:   What is your religion Mama?

Me:      Well, I don't really have one. I suppose I might be closest to a Buddhist.

Esme:   I think......I think I'm an Artist. Because I do lots of drawings and I like taking photographs. I take some really good ones, like the one of the water....

Me:      Y'know what Es, you definitely are an artist.....

Classic ;-)

3 comments:

Sue-Ann said...

Gorgeous - that's a great religion!

Annie said...

Ha! I'd be an artist too if I had to pick one.

We've had a few conversations about religion here ourselves. We talk about how religion used to be a way for people to explain things they couldn't understand. We don't really need to do that anymore and it seems to be more about the need for people to feel like they belong somewhere or be a part of something. This seems to be the most honest and simple way for us to talk about it.

Cheryl said...

This is gorgeous!