"Once your consciousness has been raised, it cannot be lowered"

My parenting journey, our home educating family and some other stuff here and there....


Friday 1 May 2009

Letting go

I thought I should say that things are *much* improved here, for now. M is using the potty- hurray! And my floors are as clean as they ever are, probably more so after the recent activities.

In my last post I mentioned really letting go of my attachment to M pooing somewhere "appropriate" and in a place of my choosing. Instead I decided to really go with his flow, and desire to poo all over the floor. I completely, willingly gave up trying to control the situation. It was a hard thing for me to do: my conditioned response to poo on the floor was "EEEEEW". I suspect most people would be the same.

Well, just giving M this space and freedom seems to have been what was needed to move that little phase on. Phew! I really wasn't that bothered about it happening once I decided I would stop fighting it, but I am glad it doesn't seem to be becoming a regular thing. I really had hoped it wouldn't be a long term solution.

I have also realised that, like his Dad, M really values his privacy and much prefers to go at home without company! E wasn't like this until very recently. Maybe it's a male/female toilet thing, which is a BIG debate topic in our house! I'm not going to get started on that one just now though....


4 comments:

Sue-Ann said...

Perhaps a newspaper to read while he's at it...

Sarah said...

Yeah...typical man.Perhaps I'll offer him a roll up to go with it LOL

Annie said...

Wonderful post. What's so great about it, to me, is that it's exactly what you should do. Relax and things will fall into place. That's not to say don't do anything about trying to help with the process but not kick yourself (or your child) if it doesn't work out like you hoped it would.

What you resist will persist, right?

natalie said...

Thank you so much for writing about EC. I found your blog, and am really enjoying it, via Sensible Living.

At the beginning of this summer, I read of your relaxed, respectful attitude towards your children while practicing EC. So, I embarked on our own adventure going diaperless.

My son has resisted my attempts to 'teach' him to use the potty so many times. He's a sensitive little character so we're not surprised here.

At age 3, I felt (this summer) my daughter showed specific signs of being able to use the toilet... which my son has not, to this day! So when the summer got warm enough, I explained that we weren't using diapers except for at night (son always fills it). I slowly learned how to facilitate their polar-opposite learning styles... great training as we embark on our homeschooling journey this year!

She is free of diapers 24/7, except for the odd accident. He has had very specific, little successes that have led to today - a great day of using the toilet for pee AND poo, and a public toilet too! I am so grateful... for your words and for my little guy teaching me about how he learns plus my little, willing girl:) Cheers!